Some couples can conceive so easily that they make jokes that they are so fertile that all the woman had to do was share her husband’s bar of soap and she got pregnant. However, it takes more than sharing a bar of soap, and there are ways to increase your chances of conceiving a baby. In what follows, are some tips for trying to conceive a girl or a boy.
- Reduce Stress – Stress can throw off your normal menstrual cycle, making it difficult to predict when you are ovulating and should be having sexual intercourse. Stress can also prevent ovulation from happening as well, and without ovulation, you cannot get pregnant.
- Be a Healthy Body Size for Your Body Type – Being a healthy weight can increase the chances of conception. Women who are underweight can develop amenorrhea (absence of your period). Women with eating disorders such as bulimia or anorexia nervosa can stop ovulating and having periods.
- Exercise – but don’t overdo it. Moderate exercise is important as it will increase your chances of conception, having a more comfortable pregnancy, and labour and delivery. However, as mentioned in point two, being underweight can reduce the chances of conception. So if you’re training hard as in the case of an athlete, you reduce your chances of conceiving quickly and easily. It is the low body fat as well as the amount of energy that athletes use for their activities that results in disrupted menstrual cycles, which negatively impacts trying to conceive.
- Do not smoke – that goes for both the woman and the man. Smoking decrease sperm counts in men. In women, smoking results in blood vessel constriction in the vessels throughout the body, including the uterus. This can make it harder for a fertilized egg to implant in the uterine wall.
- Check Things Out With Your Doctor – If you are on any medications, find out from your doctor if they will negatively impact conception (and whether they are safe for use during pregnancy).